The right team makes all
Meet Our People.
Daniel O’Brien, managing director, has more than 38 years of experience in providing business recovery and insolvency services, dispute consulting, litigation support, and strategic appraisal advice. He has provided in-court and out-of-court restructuring services to corporate debtors, secured lenders, unsecured creditors, equity holders, federal and municipal governmental agencies and court-appointed officers in the U.S. and internationally.
Dan’s extensive experience has been obtained in a wide variety of industries including retail and consumer products, healthcare, financial services, energy, transportation, media and entertainment, and telecommunications. He has reviewed, validated, and prepared financial analyses for value maximization including turnaround and reorganization plan development, liquidation analyses, working capital management, fraud and financial investigations and due diligence. Representative engagements include:
- Financial Advisor to Debtor, Creditor and Shareholder constituents in retail and consumer product engagements in the US and Europe for well-known retailers previously in bankruptcy proceedings such as Casual Male (Big & Tall), Footstar, The Sharper Image, Gottschalks, Filene’s Basement and Syms Corp.
- Financial Advisor to New England Orthotics and Prosthetic Systems, guiding the Debtor companies through all facets of their bankruptcy proceeding to a successful Plan of Reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11.
- Engaged by the New York State Department of Health to review the financial management and governance of three New York City hospitals and recommended solutions to their post-merger integration issues;
- Served various Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors of Latin American-based Debtors who filed for bankruptcy protection in the U.S. including the Mexican national airline, Grupo Aeromexico SAB de CV, and the Chilean financial services conglomerate, Corp Group Banking S.A.
- Investigative Team Lead for the Special Master in the enhancement of anti-fraud policies in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill claims settlement program, the largest in U.S. history.
- Co-developer of rebuttal report to support expert witness testimony on behalf of the Chapter 11 Trustee of Petters Group Worldwide, one of the largest Ponzi schemes in U.S. history.
- Led a review of multiple enterprises in Eastern Europe to prepare them for sale, reorganization or liquidation and simultaneously implemented a training program for anti-crisis managers funded by the World Bank, the first of its kind. Co-authored a crisis management manual for dissemination throughout Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States
Before joining Getzler Henrich & Associates, Dan served in senior leadership roles in Europe and the U.S. with prominent global accounting and consulting firms. Dan is a Fellow of the Chartered Certified Accountants Association, a Certified Fraud Examiner, a member of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) and the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI); and holds a Bachelor of Commerce from University College, Cork. Ireland.